Welcome

Welcome

Monday, March 26, 2007

"I don't know him..."

Jesus speaks challenging words in Luke 9 "If any of you are ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of you when he comes in his glory"
Peter feels the weight of them in his own experience.
Luke 22:54-62 After seizing Jesus in the Garden, they led him away and took him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at a distance... Peter sat down with them.
Observe Peter's three responses to inquiries into his identity:
"This man was with him."... "Woman, I don't know him,"
"You also are one of them."..."Man, I am not!"
"Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean."
"Man, I don't know what you're talking about!"
Do you know the temptation to be ashamed of Jesus?
V.61 records Peter's moment of truth.
The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times." 62 And he went outside and wept bitterly.
A look from his Lord confronted his temptation to denial.
A few hours earlier after the Passover Meal Jesus had said: "Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers." But he replied, "Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death." Jesus answered, "I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me."
Peter's struggle with denial is an encouragment to us all. It was not final.
Peter did return to Jesus and led the apostles in the mission of the early church.
30 or so years later he writes to encourage the churches...
"For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty".
What do you learn from Peter's struggle not to be ashamed of Jesus?
What does not being ashamed of Jesus look like in your situation?
Stand firm! GP

No comments: