Welcome

Welcome

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Postcard from South Africa

Dear Friends

South Africa is beautiful this time of year. At sunset tonight I was on the hospital airstrip finishing a round of impromptu golf and the scenery was incredible. The view from the airstrip, on the top of the Lebombo mountains, about is 100km in every direction. From this viewpoint it’s easy to imagine the way things have been in the village for hundreds of years. In some ways things haven’t changed that much in Ingwavuma for centuries. Most people still have a subsistence way of life. About ninety five percent of people don’t have running water and electricity. Even fewer people have cars and it seems even fewer speak English.
AIDS is one thing that has changed in this community over the last few years. Now about 46% of people are infected and the rate doesn’t seem to have changed despite the introduction of anti-HIV medication in 2004. It has been the struggle against AIDS that has dominated my medical life here. It’s hard to see hope for the future here as HIV continues on it’s relentlessly.
It’s a very humbling experience working in the midst of the HIV pandemic. It’s hard to imagine that one extra doctor is going to make any difference. I try to tell myself that I’m making a difference for the individual people I treat. I’m looking forward to a holiday next week which will help to give me a fresh perspective on my work. It seems many health care workers here are feeling a bit battle weary and holidays are a scarce commodity.
Today I started work on the paediatric ward which is something I’ve been looking forward. It’s nice to be out of the isolation ward where I had to wear a TB mask the whole time. Paeds ward is noisy, hot, smelly and crowded. Many of the kids have been admitted with gastroenteritis and are on IV hydration therapy. Other admissions are for TB, HIV, pneumonia, sexual abuse and malnutrition.
This month it feels like I’ve been on call constantly. About every 3rd night I’m up most of the night. I’m in the middle of working for three weeks without a day off and I think I’ve lost the ability to sleep properly. I’m often getting calls in the middle of the night from labour ward and I need to rush down and do an emergency caesarean. Other times I’m called to emergencies like car crash victims bleeding to death. I keep dreaming about accidentally sticking myself with needles which is something that I'm trying my best to avoid.
I’m finding the lack of routine challenging on my prayer and bible reading times. It’s been hard to get to church although I think I’ve managed most weeks. I’m really enjoying bible study on a Wednesday night with about 6 other health care workers. We have been studying Ecclesiastes and have been challenged to think about what really matters in our lives. I’m still struggling to understand the book and am looking forward to getting more out of it.
In my personal reading I’m taking a lot of comfort from the book of Revelation which promises a day when God will wipe every tear from the eyes of his people. God’s new creation is all the more appealing when you see first-hand how badly sin has messed up his first one.
Every day I’ve been running after work which has helped to keep my body and mind healthy. I find it’s a great stress reliever and I think I'm fitter than I’ve ever been. I’ve entered into the Comrades Marathon next month which is about 90km uphill from Durban to Pietermaritzberg. I’m optimistic about having a good run and just need to stay injury free for another five weeks.


Prayer points:
Praise:
Let everything that has breath praise the Lord! Praise God who is the alpha and the omega, the one who was, is, and will be forever.

Thanks:
For God’s amazing creation. For the blessing of sport and recreation.
For the local Zulu people I’m starting to become friends with.

Pray:
For a peaceful resolution to the crisis in Zimbabwe. That the people of that nation will be blessed with a leader who is eager to do what is good.
For the people who suffer from HIV that they will not lose the will to live but will put their hope in God.
For the staff at Mosvold that despite the difficult situation they are faced with they will be at peace with one another and will serve patients cheerfully. That they will have strength to work hard during long shifts. That they will be kept safe despite working with contagious patients.
For more healthcare workers at Mosvold particularly for a doctor who will fill my position permanently.
Dan Claughton

No comments: