Welcome

Welcome

Monday, June 25, 2007

How to bear the fruit of the Spirit!

On the night before Jesus was crucified, Jesus taught his disciples by using a farming image:

I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. John 15:1-4

The person who remains, lives, trusts, relies on Jesus, will produce fruit!

Jesus repeats, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit;

A life lived in Christ, is a fruitful life, a Spirit filled life.
Paul too, runs with the farming imagery, as he contrasts the acts of the godless life with the fruit of the Spirit filled life.
.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

You can tell the kind of tree from the fruit it produces, the authentic christian life produces the fruit of the Spirit. God works that fruit in us, as we "sow" in the Spirit.

Likewise the godly person prunes bad fruit, or God prunes bad fruit from the godly person.

So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

What does the fruit of your life show about the health of your relationship with God ?

Walk by the Spirit!

GP

No comments: