Welcome

Welcome

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Jesus Baptiser of the Holy Spirit!


When we get to the New Testament the one God reveals himself in an extraordinary new way. It is not till we get to the New Testament that we see the one God is in relationship in himself Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Rather than Trinity being something constructed by theologians. It is something that disciples experience of God as they encounter Jesus.

As an example we read of the baptism of Jesus in Mark 1

At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptised by John in the Jordan. 10 As Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”

God the Son is baptised by John the Baptist with water
God the Spirit descends from heaven
God the Father speaks “This is my Son whom I love...”


God reveals himself in a more intimate way right at the start of the public ministry of Jesus. It is a ministry the John the Baptist anticipates is greater than his own

“After me will come one more powerful than I, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. I baptise you with water, but he will baptise you with the Holy Spirit.” Mark 1:7-8


On the night before Jesus went to the cross

But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you. John 16

After the resurrection as Jesus is about to return to the Father

“Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptised with water, but in a few days you will be baptised with the Holy Spirit.” Acts 1

The Son sends the Spirit to continue his action on earth

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth
Waiting for the Spirit means trusting in the promises of God that through Jesus he will establish God's kingdom forever? Are you waiting well?
But how do you recieve the Spirit ?......
GP

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

by believing God for him